Never Laugh at a Live Dragon
Tolkien relies heavily on ancient dragon lore from around the world, when he deals with Smaug. However, there is a unique quality to this dragon. Here are the things you need to know to survive an encounter with a dragon:
- They can be very chatty.
- They are cunning and you can easily be fooled by a dragon.
- They know their treasure down to the ounce, removing a coin can be deadly.
- They are quick to anger. They have hot tempers (pun fully intended).
- They adore riddle talk, the longer you keep them guessing the longer you stay alive!
- They have a very keen sense of smell and remember the smell of certain creatures.
- Dealing with a dragon can be very tricky!
- When speaking with a dragon be aware of the dragon-spell. The dragon will weave a tantalizing tale that will change the way you view the world around you. You will begin to question everything you know.
- They enjoy flattery, especially of their fierceness.
- Never tell a dragon your proper name. They have long memories and are prone to revenge.
- They have deep dislike of dwarves, Smaug especially.
- After laying for years upon years in their treasure they develop a thick armor of jewels on the underbelly.
- They have a tendency to gloat. If a dragon wishes to gloat, patiently listen.